Just outside Almancil off the N125 lies the beautiful church of Sao Lourenco. Its interior is totally covered in ceramic tiles in blue and white,,depicting the life of St Laurence. Even the high cupola is decorated. The outstanding fact is that the earthquake of 1755 which devastated many towns in Portugal, only dislodged five tiles from the vault.
Sadly no photographs were allowed, but unfortunately Sarah did not hear this or see the notices.